What is happening to your baby:
- Your baby weighs about 2.9 kilograms.
- He/she continues to gain weight – approximately 28 grams a day.
- Your baby will turn toward light.
- He/she practises breathing movements.
- Grasp becomes firm.
What is happening to you:
- Vaginal discharge will be heavier.
- Breathing becomes easier as your baby has settled into the pelvis and there is less pressure from your diaphram. This is called “lightening”.
What to do:
- Have you packed your hospital bag packed.
- At your weekly doctor’s visits your doctor will check whether you have started dilating (the cervix opens) and effacing (the thinning of the cervix). He/she will also check the position of the baby.