Welcome to the third trimester! It is a time of extensive brain maturation, system rehearsal and transformation into a fully developed baby. For you, it may be a period of heartburn, leg cramps, haemorrhoids, itchy skins and indigestion. Don’t dispair – exciting times are ahead.
What is happening to your baby:
- The eyes are formed – complete with eyelids and eyebrows.
- The lungs can breathe oxygen.
- Hair continues to grow.
- Muscle tone improves.
- Your baby starts to recognise your voice.
- Posture straightens so that the internal organs can shift to their proper positions.
- Baby may start to suck his/her thumb.
What is happening to you:
- You may find that you leak urine when you sneeze. This is very common during pregnancy.
- You may drop things and trip easily. This is normal because of loosening of the joints and water retention.
What to do:
- Do Kegel exercises to strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor. This will reduce the likelihood of leaking urine and will also prepare your body for labour.
- Talk to your baby because he/she can recognise your voice!
- If you are working, you should start to think about maternity leave.
- Speak to your doctor about having a glucose tolerance test done.