What is happening to your baby:
- Your baby measures about 23cm crown to rump and 32cm from head to toe.
- Airs sacs in the lungs begin to develop.
- The lungs secrete surfactant which covers the inner lining of the air sacs. It allows the lungs to expand normally during breathing.
- Your baby may jump in response to loud sounds.
- He/she may react to bright light aimed at the uterus.
- Brain wave activity begins.
What is happening to you:
- Dental problems are common because of increased levels of oestrogen and progesterone.
- If you feel your uterus contract you may be experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions. Don’t panic – this is your body’s way of preparing you for labour and the contractions tone up your uterus.
What to do:
- Visit your dentist and brush up on oral hygiene.
- If you haven’t found a good antenatal class yet, start looking for one.