What is happening to your baby:
- Your baby weighs about 14 grams.
- Your baby now has reflexes.
- Heartbeat can be heard. The heart rate is about 160 beats per minute.
- The placenta has taken over hormone production.
- The kidneys have started to produce and secrete urine.
- The taste buds have formed.
- The ribs and vertebrae have begun to ossify.
What is happening to you:
- Your stomach may begin to round a bit and you may start “showing”.
- Fatigue and nausea should be decreasing.
- The linea nigra (black line running down the centre of your abdomen) may appear.
- Your uterus has risen above your pelvis. You therefore don’t have to run to the toilet so often!
What to do:
- Don’t try to diet if you are worried about gaining weight. Make sure that you follow a healthy, balanced diet. You will need to increase your calorie intake by 300-500 calories.
- Listen to your baby’s heartbeat!
- Remember to go for your 11-13 week check-up (see Week 11).