Consider the following when you choose your hospital:
- Which hospital does your obstetrician use?
- What can you afford?
- If you are on medical aid, will your hospital stay be covered and does the hospital charge medical aid rates?
- How far is the hospital from where you live?
- Does the hospital have all the facilities you require? (such as a birthing bath if you prefer an underwater delivery)
- What is the attitude to rooming-in?
- Can more than one support person (including siblings) be present during labour?
- Are there semi-private and private rooms available?
- What are the visiting hours and rules regarding visitors (including siblings)?
- What is the atmosphere in the ward?
- What are the security measures?
- Does the hospital offer in-house support such as a lactation consultant?
(Ilse Pauw, Health24)