advertisement
Updated 28 October 2013

Increased risk of toddlers swallowing magnets

Several doctors say more and more toddlers are swallowing magnets, toys and coins, even though some products have been recalled.

0

Powerful "super-magnets" found in adult desk toys and other novelty items still trigger many emergency room visits after children swallow them, according to a new report, even though some products with these magnets have been recalled.

"These ingestions have increased over the past three to five years," said study researcher Dr Daniel Rosenfield, a paediatric resident at the University of Toronto and the Hospital for Sick Children in Canada.

Rosenfield's team looked back at the records in the hospital involving about 2 700 incidents of people having swallowed magnets from 2001 to last year.

They found that  94 incidents involved magnets, with swallowing multiple magnets increasing the most in the last three years of the study.

These neodymium-iron-boron magnets became popular about that time, sold in toys, jewellery and other novelty items, including desk toys used for fun and stress relief by adults. These desk toys include magnetic marbles and magnetic sculpting balls.

Rosenfield is scheduled to report the findings at an American Academy of Paediatrics meeting in Orlando, Florida.

Magnet ingestion alert

Although recalls are in place for some of these products in both the United States and Canada, many of the items are still in circulation or available online, Rosenfield said. Many parents, as well as teachers and others, remain unaware of the dangers of these magnets, he said.

"The problems with these multiple magnets is, if you swallow more than one at a different point in time, they can attract [each other] across loops of the gut, causing pressure to build up," Rosenfield said.

In the study, the children ranged in age from 7 months to 13 years, but the average age was about four years.

In the case of the 13-year-old, Rosenfield said, the teen was trying to mimic a tongue piercing with a stud and swallowed three magnets.

Six children had to be taken to the operating room to remove the magnets and others had to have them removed by way of an endoscope or tube, according to the study. Others were given laxatives or were observed to see if the magnet passed.

No deaths occurred.

Children often swallow the magnets without a parent knowing, Rosenfield said, so parents and doctors should be alert to the possibility of magnet ingestion if a child complains of stomach ache without apparent causes. With an abdominal X-ray, he said, ingestion can be detected fairly quickly.

Proposed new rule

The problem of magnet ingestion is ongoing, said Dr Cathy Burnweit, chief of paediatric surgery at Miami Children's Hospital.

She said she has often treated children who have swallowed magnets, although coins are what she fishes out most often.

"Sometimes magnets get stuck in the lower throat," Burnweit said.

"If they get through there, a solitary item will usually pass into the stool."

But the scenario described by Rosenfield also occurs, she said.

"If there are two magnets and they are in different places, the loops of bowel will be drawn together and can rupture the intestines," she said.

"This can happen within hours to days."

Parents are busy, she said, but more awareness is key.

"Be very aware of toys, coins and little objects, particularly in the toddler age group," she said. If an object can fit down the diameter of a toilet paper roll, she said, "children have been known to swallow it."

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission held a hearing earlier this month, asking experts to comment on its proposed new rule to prohibit sales of the super-magnet products.

More information

To learn more about magnet risks, visit the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Picture: Magnet from Shutterstock

Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

 

More:

ChildNews
advertisement

Get a quote

advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Live healthier

Medical bills »

GP and money Cut medical bills Medical savings account

Medical scheme: what is a self-payment gap?

Have you exhausted your day-to-day benefits and moved into your self-payment gap? Here's what it means.

Allergy alert »

Allergy myths Cold or allergy? Children and allergies

Allergy facts vs. fiction

Some of the greatest allergy myths and misconceptions can actually be damaging to your health.