Updated 03 November 2015

Pharmacy gives kids drugs instead of Halloween candy

A Canadian pharmacy got quite a fright when they discovered that they'd accidentally given trick-or-treaters prescription drugs instead of candy – a mistake that highlights the potential dangers of Halloween.


A pharmacy in Quebec City, Canada, was investigated after accidentally including medication for bipolar disorder into their Halloween candy basket.

It is understood that the mix-up occurred when a customer dropped her son's bipolar medication on the floor, CBC  News reports.

The pharmacy believes that another customer may have picked up the medication off the floor and placed it near the Halloween candy basket. While it is not certain, police believe that one of the pharmacy employees may have placed the drugs in the basket.

No dangerous symptoms

The pharmacy believes that seven wrapped pills made their way into the hands of local trick-or-treaters, The Independent explains.

The police have since confirmed that none of the kids who received the pills actually ingested them. Even if they had consumed the pills, the kids wouldn't have suffered any dangerous symptoms, although they may have experienced side effects such as nausea and drowsiness.

For many parents, Halloween involves the fear that their children may be given sweets and chocolates laced with drugs. While the incident at the Quebec City pharmacy was an honest mistake, there are people out there who may deliberately add drugs or other dangerous paraphernalia to the Halloween treats they give out to kids.

Following Halloween this year, authorities in five different US states have launched investigations after dangerous objects were found in Halloween candy.

Police in Ohio confirmed that a fourteen-year-old teenage girl bit into a Snickers bar only to find that a small razor blade, similar to those found on disposable razors, had been inserted into the chocolate, VICE reports. Police are currently investigating where the candy bar may have come from. 

A similar investigation is under way in Pennsylvania where sewing needles were found in a number of chocolate bars given to kids, Sky News reports.

Read: 7 symptoms of being haunted

halloween candy

Needles were found in Halloween candy in Pennsylvania (Kennett Square Police Department).

Is Halloween good fun or downright dangerous? Have your say in our poll:

Read more:

Spooked by sugar, Americans seek healthier Halloween treats

Halloween can be dangerous for kids with food allergies

Why contact lenses shouldn't be part of your Halloween costume




Live healthier

Cracked rib? »

Here's why coughing can be good for you SEE: How long should a cough last?

7 ways coughing can injure your body

The average cough lasts between two and three weeks and usually causes no serious physical damage – but beware when a cough turns violent!

Heart health »

Can you reverse your heart's age? Air purifiers may protect your heart against pollution

You're not too young to have a heart attack

How much do you really know about the things that can go wrong with your heart throughout the course of your life?