advertisement
14 July 2009

Sparklers can get red-hot!

They sparkle and shine, and look like lots of harmless fun – but they can get six times hotter than a pan of cooking oil. Beware of sparkler injuries this New Year's Eve.

0
They sparkle and shine, and look like lots of harmless fun – but they can get six times hotter than a pan of cooking oil. Beware of sparkler injuries this New Year's Eve.

Take action: Store sparklers and other fireworks in a closed box in a cool, dry place; always light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves; never hold a baby or child if you have a sparkler in your hand; plunge finished sparklers hot end down into a bucket of water as soon as they have burnt out; don't take sparklers to public displays.

Click here for more info on preventing childhood accidents at home.

 
NEXT ON HEALTH24X

More:

ChildBody
advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Live healthier

Terrific Tea! »

Rooibos makes cocktails healthier Rooibos: an alternative energy drink

More than 10 reasons why rooibos is good for you

Today marks the first annual National Rooibos Day, which aims to raise awareness of the health benefits and many uses of rooibos tea.

Healthy? Are you sure? »

5 diseases we can get from animals Could your salon visit make you sick?

7 terrifying diseases you could have without knowing it

Not all serious illnesses come with tell-tale symptoms. There are diseases that can turn your body into a ticking time-bomb while you're unaware of any danger.