Home > Newsletters > Daily: Love or hate Earth Hour? > Daily Dose: Dagga now also being used on animals > Health-in-Motion 12 October 2016 Non-toxic batteries Medical visionaries believe that we’re not far from the day when doctors will routinely give us edible electronic devices to swallow which will diagnose or even treat various diseases. But how does one power these tiny machines without having to worry about how long they’ll survive in the body and whether they are potentially poisonous? One team of scientists is making progress with edible, non-toxic batteries made out of melanin pigments which occur naturally in the skin, hair and eyes. These devices would simply dissolve after having done their job. 0 More: Daily Dose: Dagga now also being used on animalsHealth-in-Motion advertisement Other news Lifestyle How to communicate to your kids about nutrition Medical Testicular cancer survivor: 'My testicle doubled in size' Natural Health Why are biologics so expensive? Diet and nutrition It can take months to break bad eating habits Medical Childhood chemo may have lasting effects on memory Medical Back pain patients with depression get more opioids From our sponsors WIN a R2000 Skin Renewal voucher! Constipation in women SA's old diesel vehicles continue to fuel allergies Complete our allergy survey and stand a chance to win R 1000! Live healthier Wasting water? » South Africa is facing a water crisis Water saving tips Water quality report shocks SEE: How much water do you use per day? With level 4 water restrictions in Cape Town, residents are urged to use a maximum of 100 litres per person per day. Here’s how quickly it adds up. Life saving tip! » SEE: 10 things to keep in your first aid kit 10 first aid myths Here's why you need a first aid kit in the car Emergency services are often spread thin, especially when storms and major disasters strike. When travelling on the road, having a well-stocked first aid kit could be a lifesaver.