Almost 26 years ago, Madiba walked out of the gates of prison and led South Africa into peaceful negotiations. On the 13th of February 2016, we are inviting the people of the rainbow nation to walk in the footsteps of Nelson Mandela as we pay homage to his contribution in leading our country so well.
The event takes place for the 6th time at the Drakenstein Correctional Facility, approximately 15km outside Paarl on the R301. Further details and entries can be found on www.27forfreedom.co.za/ The varied routes will take participants past the house where Madiba spent his last few months in captivity before his release.
It then continues along the historic Mandela avenue before passing the Long Walk to Freedom statue at the facility. After which we invite all to join in the festivities which include lucky draw prizes, a prize-giving ceremony and loads of live entertainment!
In times where there is much divide, we call on all ages, schools and universities, religions, ethnic backgrounds and various political parties to walk/run or dance together as our country moves forward and heals.
Drakenstein Correctional Facility (DCS) is honoured to have the following dignitaries at the event:
- The National Minister of Tourism, Mr. Derek Hanekom
- The Minister of Cultural Affairs and Sport, MEC Ms. Anroux Marais
- Mr. Ahmed Katrada, South African politician and former political prisoner
- Her Worship Councillor Gesie van Deventer – Mayor of Drakenstein Municipality
- Mrs Carolyn Steyn, founder of the 67 Blankets for Nelson Mandela Day
Kindly join us at the 27 FOR FREEDOM and help us to preserve, protect and build on the legacy of Tata Madiba.