Are you at the end of your tether?
Tackling the issue of stress in your life requires a holistic approach. All aspects of your life should be changed to facilitate stress management. Your diet is a crucial area.
Without changing your diet drastically at this point (which may cause more stress), try to reduce or avoid foods that may negatively affect your mood, behaviour, and energy and nutrient levels. These include:
- Refined and processed foods.
- Fast foods.
- High fat and fried foods.
- Too much dairy (have no more than 2-3 portions a day).
- Sugar and refined carbohydrate meals.
- Alcohol and caffeine.
- It's particularly important to increase the ratio of potassium to sodium rich foods in your diet. For instance, increase your fruit and vegetable intake, while reducing foods with added sodium. This has the effect of increased support for the adrenal glands.
- Try to eat regularly in a relaxed environment. Chew food slowly, avoid overeating and avoid eating while working. Savour every bite you eat.
- Avoid skipping meals.
- Stay properly hydrated, preferably by drinking water and rooibos tea.
- Try to eat a wide variety of foods.
- Avoid allergenic foods (in other words, foods that you may be allergic or intolerant to).
(Health24, updated January 2009)