What are the most common life stressors? We list them:
- Major life events such as loss of a loved one, retrenchment or divorce.
- Trauma such as sexual abuse, earthquakes and military combat.
- Socio-economic stressors such as malnutrition, poverty and bureaucracy.
- Social stressors such as relationship issues, family changes, sexuality, loneliness and social phobia.
- Occupational stress such as work overload, deadlines, lack of employment.
- Nutritional factors such as poor eating habits, poor nutritional intake and dieting.
- Substance abuse such as caffeine, alcohol, medications, smoking and drugs.
- Financial stress.
- Physical inactivity.
- Chronic disease and pain.
(Health24, updated January 2009)