Try these top five de-stressing essential oils. All of the following essential oils will work to balance and soothe your body and mind. Mix a few undiluted drops with a carrier oil, such as almond, for a massage or add it to your bath water.
- Lavender – balancing, soothing and normalising
- Geranium – relaxing and uplifting
- Neroli – soothing and regenerating
- Chamomile – acts as a sedative and boosts the immune system
- Ylang-ylang – calming, also an aphrodisiac
Adding these essential oils to the bath will take a load off your mind. But make sure that you follow the following guidelines so that you get the full benefit of the essential oils:
- Follow the instructions on the bottle carefully and only add the recommended number of drops.
- The bath must be hot, but not scalding, or else the oils will evaporate before you've even hopped in.
- Stay in the bath for about 20 minutes. If you stay in for less, the essential oils might not have time to take effect; if you stay in for longer, you'll just feel lethargic.
- While you're in the bath, focus on ensuring that your breathing is deep and regular. Inhale from the diaphragm, hold for a few seconds and exhale slowly.
(Health24, updated January 2009)