Suicidal thoughts or threats should always be taken seriously and it is important to act immediately. The South African Depression and Anxiety Group (SADAG) has the following recommendations:
- Three steps parents can take:
- Get your child help (medical or mental health professional)
- Support your child (listen, avoid undue criticism, remain connected)
- Become informed (read about suicide in books or on the internet, contact your local support group)
- Three steps friends can take:
- Take your friend’s actions seriously
- Encourage your friend to seek professional help, accompany him/her if necessary
- Talk to an adult you trust. Don’t be alone in helping your friend.
Post a question to Cybershrink.
When someone you know is suicidal