advertisement
12 September 2013

Brain-eating amoeba survivor to be released

An American girl who survived a rare, often fatal brain infection caused by a brain-eating amoeba is to be released from hospital.

0

A 12-year-old girl who survived a rare and often fatal infection caused by a brain-eating amoeba was expected to go home on Wednesday after being hospitalised since July.

Kali Hardig was diagnosed with a devastating infection called primary amoebic meningoencephalitis after a trip to an Arkansas water park this summer.

There were 128 such infections reported in the United States between 1962 and 2012, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Before Kali, doctors could only point to one known survivor in the US and another in Mexico.

During a news conference Wednesday, even Kali acknowledged the odds against her. "I'm lucky to be alive," she said.

Her doctors and parents agreed.

"The first 22 days being in ICU, you just never knew," her mother, Traci Hardig said. "You're told the worst news possible, and then to go from that outcome to... get to actually take her home, I mean, I got to watch a miracle unfold right in front of my eyes."

Health officials believe Kali became sick after a trip to a now-shuttered water park that features a sandy-bottomed lake.

A brain-eating amoeba called Naegleria fowleri is often found in warm bodies of freshwater, such as lakes, rivers and hot springs. The amoeba typically enters the body through the nose as people are swimming or diving. It can then travel to the brain, causing primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, or PAM.

Symptoms

Initial symptoms usually start within one to seven days and may include a headache, fever, nausea and vomiting. The disease progresses rapidly, and other symptoms can include a stiff neck, confusion, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations.

Moreover, the infection destroys brain tissue and can cause brain swelling and death.

Doctors say Kali's success is due in large part to experimental treatment and early detection and diagnosis.

Kali's mother took her to Arkansas Children's Hospital with a nasty fever on 19 July. Doctors cooled the girl's body down to try to reduce the swelling, and they won clearance to treat her with a breast cancer drug.

Tests have since shown no sign of the parasite in her system, and she's made remarkable progress. She went from being hooked up to a ventilator to breathing on her own and relearning to speak, walk and eat.

 
NEXT ON HEALTH24X

More:

BrainNews
advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Live healthier

Watch out! »

Gross fungal infections you can pick up at the gym

You go to gym to exercise. But make sure the only thing you pick up is a dumbbell and not one of these gross fungal infections.

Holiday health »

Your 10-step asthma holiday checklist

Don’t let asthma ruin your summer holiday. Whether you are travelling or embracing the summer at home, make sure you plan ahead.