Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Royi | 2010-07-19


Peanut butter allergy

My son use to have food allergy (milk, eggs and peanut butter). the test was done when he was 12 months old. Now he is 5 yrs old,he has outgrown the milk and eggs allergy. I''m not sure about peanut butter. Is it safe to try him on peanut butter now? I''m asking because when he was 2yrs I gave him bread and peanut butter but after just one bite he was vommitiing through the mouth and nose at the same time and this scared me. I never gave him anything with peanut butter ever since, even at creche I just told them that he has this allergy but I''m not sure if he still has it. please advice.

Expert's Reply



Peanut allergy can be a very dangerous allergy in children. This allergy can lead to serious allergic reactions including difficulty in breathing and collapse if children with this allergy eat peanuts.The other problem with peanut allergy is that only 20% of children outgrow this allergy, so it can be a lifelong problem. You have to be 100% sure that your son is no longer allergic to peanuts before you can give him any peanut products. So he should have a special blood test done. This is called the RAST for Peanut IgE as well as the the new more sensitive RAST test for peanut allergy called the Peanut (rArah2)IgE.When you have these results please let me know what the levels are and I will advise you further.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.