Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Astrud | 2011-07-18



4 year old drank 100ml paracetamol - was admitted to hospital for 24hours and discharged. No permanent damage as an " anti-dote"  was administered orally. What can I give him the next time he has a fever as I was instructed that panado syrup/paracetamol would not be ideal.

Expert's Reply



Paracetamol can be a dangerous medicine to ingest accidentally if in large amounts.Fortunately the children's paracetamol preparations contain a relatively low dose of paracetamol and it very uncommon for children to develop damage to the liver that may occur with accidental overdosing on adult paracetamol tablets.I hope that your son had his liver function blood tests sent to the laboratory while he was in hospital.Paracetamol remains a safe medicine to use for children with a fever, but it would be best not to use paracetamol for your son for at least 6 months. You can use Nurofen syrup if he needs treatment for a fever.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.