Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Concerned mother | 2009/10/22


Growth of son with clubfeet

Hi, I have a 7 yr old who was born with severe bilateral clubfeet. The right leg is perfect after surgery at 3 months, but the left foot needs further surgery (after 3 ops). He is short (on the lower percentile of his age group) and we are worried, that in addition to his clubfoot problems, this will affect him even more psychologically. I am, however, just a touch more than 1,5 m, but my husband is of medium height. Our orthopaed suggested that we consider growth hormones. I have never heard of these and am extremely worried that they will affect my extremely bright boy mentally. Have you had any experience with these doc?

Expert's Reply



Growth hormone is available but it is a very expensive treatment. There must be a good reason for its use and a strong case must be made to get your medical aid to pay towards the use of growth hormone.The timing of the use of growth hormone also needs to be carefully decided. The specialists in growth hormone use are paediatric endocrinologists. Your son would need to be seen by a paediatric endocrinologist. There are experts in all the main centres in SA.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.