Childhood Diseases

Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010-12-13

Q.

Getting toddler to drink adco-amoxylin

Dear Doc

My 23 month old daughter has a high fever of about 39 deg. There are no other symptons. The Paed said she has a throat infection, and prescribed Moxypen and Ponston.

The pharmacy dispensed adco-amoxylin - I assume that it is a generic. The problem is that I really struggle to get my daughter to drink this antibiotic. She vomited the first 2 times that I gave it to her, and now keeps her mouth tightly closed when I get close to her with the yellow suspension. I''ve lost 4 x 5ml does on the floor thus far as it is so difficult to get her to drink the medicine.

I am at my wits end. Do I need to ask the pharmacy to provide me with another bottle of the antibiotic to give her the 4 medicine spoons that have been lost (plus any more that gets lost over the next few days? I am concerned as the Paed says that she must complete the course, but now she is not going to get all of the medicine in due to the difficulty giving it to her.

Thank you

Expert's Reply

A.

Paediatrician

Your little toddler is not going to take any more of this antibiotic without putting up a fight. The only solution is to tell your pharmacist and she should be given the Moxypen as was prescribed by the doctor, not this substitute.There are special spoons which may make it easier to give the medicine or possibly you can use a small syringe to give the medicine slowly into her mouth.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: Purple | 2010-12-13

If it made her vomit, tell the pharmacist that this is what is happening and you want what is prescribed and not the generic.

Medicines are difficult to get a child to take as they taste horrendous.
I was always honest with my son, I told him it would taste yucky and I let him drink down a glass of a usually forbidden juice such as fanta or undiluted fruit juice and then gave him a sweet for his troubles. I did bribe him and tell him upfront he''d get a sweet and I usually let him choose the bag of sweets for after meds at the chemist while we were getting the medicines.

Failing that, you have to wrap your child up in a towel so they can''t fight you off and squirt the meds in by syring and block their nose to make them swallow. Traumatic to both of you, so I prefer bribing with sweets.

The only thing I still can''t get him to take no matter what agony he is in is Buscopan, and after having taken the syrup myself once, I understand his reluctance and I now give him the pills.

Reply to Purple

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.