Childhood Diseases

Question
Posted by: Edie | 2012-12-10

Q.

Bee Sting

Dear Prof

Hope you are well.

My son was stung by a bee yesterday. There were two drs present. The one said I had to give him celestamine immediately, the other said it was being paranoid. Which is right, how is one supposed to handle a beesting?

Thanks

Expert's Reply

A.

Paediatrician

I take it that this was the first time that your son was stung by a bee and that he is not allergic to bee stings. Normaly all you need to do is to gently use your fingernail to scratch out the bee sting that usually remains stuck in the skin at the site of the sting. Do not squeeze the sting as the venom pouch is attached to the sting.Apply a little ice in a small plastic bag to the sting site for several minutes to reduce the pain. This is usually all that you need to do. Celestamine is sometimes given to children who are allergic to beestings when they are stung. It is not a good treatment for beesting allergic children as it takes too long to start having an effect.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.