Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Edie | 2013-01-23



Dear Prof

Unfortunately my optimism was short lived and being back at school has caused my almost 4 yr old to have a severe nasal drip together with the coughing. After almost 4 months of being healthy, he is absolutely back to square one. He has lost his appetite and is blueish under his eyes. But having said that, his brother, almost 2 (in March) who have now started going to school has the same symptoms, almost worse (except for the blue eyes).
Their noses are not infected yet, I just spray it with saline twice a day. The pharmacist recommended dimetapp for both kids. I gave it to them, but I just want to make sure about the age thing, because the bottle says not for under 2 yr olds, although the pharmacist said it was fine.
This, I started on Monday.
Yesterday the little one had a bad allergic reaction to something at school. He had a nap and when he woke up, his cheek was swollen with red and whitish bumps. They wanted to give him allergex, but I said no and then the put on some anthisan, which helped, because by the time we got there it was already cleared up. I''m not sure what caused the allergy. Nothing they mentioned seemed suspicious. But what I wanted to know is, should I send allecet or celestimine to school for such cases and because he drank some of the dimetapp the previous night, could he take anything at all?
Also, does it sound like a food allergy or maybe a reaction to a bite (I didnt see anything), or what should we be looking out for?

Thanks a lot

Expert's Reply



This is bad news, but this often happens once school starts again even though it is summer now. At this stage both of your sons have bad colds.The main thing is to keep their noses clear by using saline nose drops or spray. You need to use the spray at least twice but preferably 3 times a day. Make sure that you boost their immunity with a combination of probiotics and Scotts emulsion every day. I would prefer that you did not give Dimetapp to either of your boys especially to your youngest. It contains a pseudoephedrine-like medicine that is not permitted for children under 2 years.
Your younger son appears to have had an allergic reaction probably to a food he ate or to a drink. Many synthetic cold drinks contain colourants and preservatives that may cause allergic reactions like this. It would be best to have Allecet syrup available at the school. Your son should have a 5ml dose of Allecet if he ever develops this allergic rash again while at the school.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.