Childhood Diseases

Posted by: Rod | 2011-09-12


2 year old drank small amount of

I was having an Australian non-alcoholic drink called Bundaberg Lemon and Lime. It has 0.2% alcohol, although I didn''t realise it at the time, as it is labelled " non-alcoholic" , and does not have alcohol listed as an ingedient, as it is below 0.5%.

My two year old had a gulp on Saturday when I wasn''t looking. He seemed fine. I am very worried that he may be damaged, even though apparently a lot of medicines have a much higher alcohol concerntrations, and even fruit juices sometimes also have similar levels ocurring naturally through fermentation of their sugars.

1) Should I be worried?
2) Since fruit juices naturally contain levels of alcohol, should I restrict his drinking of these? What brands of fruit juice do not have any alcohol in them?

Expert's Reply



This product is marketed as being alcohol free and I am unable to find evidence that it does contain any alcohol. Even if it does contain 0.2%alcohol as you mention here, this is indeed a tiny amount and is unlikley to have any adverse effect on a young child who takes a sip of this drink. You are correct some medicines given to children may contain more alcohol than this.You really do not need to worry.
Unfermented fruit juices do not contain any alcohol.The fruit juices in vacuum packed cartons such as Ceres and Liquifruit are completely alcohol free.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Racoon | 2011-09-14

Boys! my sons have downed guest''s unattended glasses of wine, drank surgical spirits (devil handed it to him fron behind the sink in the bathroom where he couldn''t reach at all), eaten dessicator sachets, licked toilet duck fresh disc (that think gel patch that one applies to the toilet)...they are all ok, although the little one who drank the surgical spirits was slightly intoxicated and it cost us a lot of money for all the emergency room visits...I now have the Cape Poison Centre number on my phone and would suggest that to all parents of toddlers!

Reply to Racoon

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.