The truth about stroke is that ignorance kills. Many people have incorrect perceptions about stroke. Check below whether you are one of them!
Would you say the following statements are true?
- Stroke is something that happens to the heart.
- Stroke cannot really be treated.
- Stroke recovery only takes place for a few months after a stroke
- Stroke is something that only happens to elderly people.
- There is nothing one can do to prevent stroke.
- Once somebody loses the ability to speak, they cannot regain it.
All these statements are FALSE.
- Stroke is actually something that happens in the brain, not the heart.
- Immediate emergency treatment can change a stroke victim's chances of recovery.
- Stroke recovery takes place for the rest of the stroke victim's life.
- Anyone, at any age can have a stroke.
- Stroke is largely preventable.
- Most stroke victims can learn to speak again.
Interesting facts about stroke
- 17 percent of people over the age of 50 are unable to name a single stroke symptom.
- Almost 60 percent of stroke patients don't get to a doctor or hospital until 24 hours after the stroke.
- 13 hours is the average time from the time of the stroke to when medical attention is sought.
The Heart and Stroke Foundation South Africa