They key is to make
sure the doctor has specific expertise and knowledge in hair loss.
The most suitable doctors to assess your hair
loss concerns are a dermatologist (skin specialist), hair loss clinic or a
medical professional who specialises in diagnosing and treating scalp and hair
to assist your doctor
- Make a
list of important personal information, especially any recent life changes or
major stresses you’ve experienced;
- List all
the medications including supplements/vitamins you are currently taking
- List any
medical conditions you are affected by
- Jot down
some questions you’d like to ask your doctor about hair loss
Questions your doctor might ask you
- When did you first begin experiencing hair loss?
- Do you lose hair continually or just occasionally?
- Have you noticed any of the following: hair breakage, shedding
or poor hair growth?
- Have you lost hair overall or in patches?
- Have you found anything that seems to improve or worsen your
- Is this the first time you have experienced hair loss or has it
- Is anyone in your immediate family affected by hair loss?
- What medication or supplements do your take regularly?
Types of hair loss
Signs and symptoms of hair loss
How is hair loss treated?