advertisement
29 June 2005

Foreign objects in the nose

Children often push small objects up their noses. This section discusses how these objects can be removed.

0
Children tend to push small objects up their noses. Adults sometimes pack bits of cotton into the nose nostril to stop bleeding. These often become lodged in the nose.

Suspect a foreign object if there is a foul-smelling green or yellow discharge from only one nostril. The nose may also be tender and swollen.

Home treatment

  • Do not attempt to inhale the object by forcefully breathing in. Breathe through the mouth.
  • Pinch the other nostril shut and try to gently blow the object out. Do not blow hard or repeatedly.
  • If the object is visible in the lower nostril, remove it with a blunt pair of tweezers. However, do not attempt this if a child is protesting as it may be pushed deeper into the nostril and cause further damage.
  • Spray a nasal decongestant in the affected nostril to reduce the swelling.

See your doctor if:

  • The object remains embedded.
  • A disc battery is stuck in the nose, even if removed successfully. Harmful chemicals can rapidly leak into the nose.
 
advertisement

Get a quote

advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Live healthier

Allergy alert »

Allergy myths Cold or allergy? Children and allergies

Allergy facts vs. fiction

Some of the greatest allergy myths and misconceptions can actually be damaging to your health.

Vitamin wise »

Vitamins for HIV What to eat for vitamin B? Cut down on vitamins

All you need to know about vitamins

Find out which vitamin to use for which condition. Ask our Vitamin expert.