First aid

Updated 05 January 2015

Woman electrocuted by water bucket

A 37-year-old woman was electrocuted in Intshawini, near Stanger in the Ilembe district, while fetching water , the KwaZulu-Natal health department said.

0

A 37-year-old woman was electrocuted in Intshawini, near Stanger in the Ilembe district, while fetching water on Monday, the KwaZulu-Natal health department said.

The 37-year-old woman was walking barefoot with a bucket of water on her head, said emergency medical services spokesperson Robert Mckenzie.

The bucket apparently touched a low hanging, live wire being used to conduct electricity and water spilled out, causing sparks, he said.

A man was hurt when he tried to help the woman.

Read: Electricity: is your home safe?

Mckenzie said the woman died on the scene. The 39-year-old man was in a serious condition when paramedics assessed him.

He said the area had been cordoned off and that the municipal electricity department and police were on the scene.

"People are urged to be vigilant of unsafe or illegal connections and if found, to be cautious around them before reporting them to authorities," he said.

"Do not tamper with electricity connections or power sources as illegal connections are dangerous and do have fatal consequences."

Image credit: Water bucket by Shutterstock

Read more:
The dark side of electricity 
Treating electric shock

 

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.