While many women spend several hours every month taking care of their hands and fingernails, the toenails and feet are often sorely neglected.
These hard-working body parts need to be looked after – not only for the sake of being well-groomed, but also to ensure good health.
Ingrown toenails and cracked heels are often the painful result of not taking the time to pamper your feet.
So, use this step-by-step guide to give your feet a weekly treat:
- Soak your feet in a foot bath filled with warm water – this will soften the skin.
- Use a pumice stone to gently rub off any dry skin while your feet are still wet.
- Scrub your feet with a gentle exfoliator and rinse.
- Dry your feet, then apply some body butter or foot cream and wrap your feet in a warm towel for five minutes. Rinse thoroughly afterwards.
- Massage your feet with a revitalising aromatherapy oil such as sandalwood or ylang ylang.
- Push back your cuticles, using an ear bud.
- Remove any excess oil with a paper towel.
- Buff your toenails with a top-quality three-way buffer.
- Finish off by painting your toenails with your favourite colour nail lacquer.
Zest Weekend Home Spa by Linda Bird
South African Podiatry Association (SAPA)