Posted by: Xaba | 2009/04/01


worried sick

Helllo, I have a problem with my sugar levels. Case is it' s either flunctuating or goes low, I work out a lot, I adjust the dosage of Novorapid between 1 - 6mmol/L depending on what' s on the menu &  reading for glucometer &  portion size as well. Couple of days back I' ve seen a dietician &  who told me about the carbohydrate count. I' m still adjusting the dosage as per reasons stated above, seen other doctors &  they suggest I keep it to a single pre-fined dosage than adjusting it, of which i don' t agree with. I once asked the doctor if it' s possible to change the short acting insulin, but told me she doesn' t see a need for that. At the moment I' m confused about what to do, which &  who' s route to follow, advice to take or should I stick to regime I' m currently on at the moment? All of the above dont work for me, I have collapsed 3 time in past week, could you please recommend something or someone for me. I live in Durban central. Any advice please I feel like this thing is taking over my life.

Expert's Reply


Diabetes expert

I agree with you that dose adjustment with carbohydrate counting is a good method to obtain better control. A fixed dosage will only work if all your meals contain more or less the same amount of carbohydrates. The fact that you have collapsed, really indicate that you need a proper re-evaluation of your medication. There are different options of short-acting insulins available and one should evaluate your food dairy and readings and then make a decision. The fact that you are also exercising a lot may also contribute to your current problem and it may be necessary to decrease your long-acting insulin dosage or if you use a long-acting insulin with a peak change to a long-acting insulin without a peak action. There are a number of Endocrinologists in the Durban and Umhlanga area - I would really advise you to book an appointment with an Endocrinologist to help you to sort this out.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.