Childhood Diseases

Updated 11 March 2016

Preventing chickenpox

Varicella vaccine, a safe and effective vaccine for chickenpox, is readily available in South Africa.


Previously chickenpox was largely unavoidable. However, a vaccine against chickenpox is now available. This is a safe and effective vaccine. It is in use as a routine childhood vaccination in many developed countries notably the USA.

While the chicken pox vaccination known as varicella vaccine is readily available in South Africa, it is not yet routinely funded by the state as a childhood vaccination.

The vaccination is 95% effective in preventing chicken pox infection. It can be safely used in infants from 12 months of age. Ask your doctor about the chickenpox vaccine if your child has not yet had it.

Great care should still be taken to avoid exposing immune-compromised people for example someone being treated for cancer or is malnourished to anyone with chickenpox or anyone who has recently been in contact with chickenpox.

Following infection with chicken pox, a person is infectious from about two days before the rash develops until all the blisters have crusted, which usually takes about six days from the start of the rash.

In order not to infect others, avoid social contact while the chicken pox blisters are present. School-going children should not attend school until all their blisters have crusted and fallen off. It is usually sufficient to stay home for one week.

Read more: 

Symptoms of chickenpox 

Causes of chickenpox 

Risk factors for chickenpox 

Revised and reviewed by Prof Eugene Weinberg, Paediatrician and Paediatric Allergist, Health24 expert, February 2015.


Ask the Expert


Prof Eugene Weinberg worked in the Paediatrics Department of the Red Cross Children’s Hospital for many years. He is presently a paediatric allergist at the Allergy Diagnostic Unit of the UCT Lung Institute in Mowbray.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules