Updated 22 August 2014

Types of cancer prevalent in SA women

The following article contains reliable information on cancer prevalence in South African women, as well as a graphic showing the various areas that can be overrun by cancer.


Cancer and the South African woman
Many of the cancers affecting women, such as breast cancer and uterine cancer can be detected early, by means of regular testing.

  1. Breast cancer - is the most prevalent cancer among South African women at large
  2. Cervical cancer - the second most prevalent cancer. Cervical cancer can easily be detected in its early stages by a Pap-smear test
  3. Uterine cancer - this type of cancer is more prevalent amongst black women than white women
  4. Lung cancer - is on the increase, as more and more women take up smoking
  5. Oesophageal cancer - this type of cancer is found frequently amongst both men and women

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Ask the Expert

Honey Morgan

Honey is a Life Coach, NLP Practitioner, Energy ReSourcing™ & Ericksonian Hypnotherapy Practitioner who has been practicing for over a decade. Personally, Honey is actively involved in the BDSM community and takes the role of a submissive or slave. She also spent 7 years as an exotic dancer. Her specialised coaching focus on sex & relationships, as well as spiritual journeys, is the result of a burning passion to help women (and men!) have fulfilling long-term relationships & healthy sex lives. She is also dedicated to helping couples and individuals find the bond, connection & love we all so desperately yearn for in our souls. Honey is one of the founders and creators behind and, two innovative online coaching platforms designed to put real coaching resources into the hands of people who need them most… at a fraction of the cost of traditional coaching and counseling.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules