Breast cancer

Updated 29 May 2015

How is Paget's disease of the nipple diagnosed?

Most women notice this disease themselves. It may look like eczema of the nipple at first. Eczema should respond to simple treatment with corticosteroid creams.


Most women notice this disease themselves since it starts with:

  • Persistent crustiness, scaling and redness of the nipple
  • The nipple may itch or burn
  • There may be oozing or bleeding from the nipple area

This disease may look like eczema of the nipple at first. Eczema should respond to simple treatment with corticosteroid creams. If a rash on the nipple does not disappear with such treatment, then Paget’s disease is suspected. In an older woman who goes to the doctor with a nipple rash, Paget’s disease should be thought of without waiting to see if the rash responds to steroid creams.

If Paget’s disease is suspected, then the next step is often a mammogram to see if there is any definite area of cancer within the breast. However, if nothing is found, this is no reason to assume that further cancer is not present.

A biopsy of the nipple tissue will provide a definite diagnosis. If a lump or other suspicious area of the breast was found on mammogram, then this area will also be biopsied.


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Breast cancer expert

Dr Gudgeon qualified in Birmingham, England, in 1968. She has more than 40 years experience in oncology, and in 1994 she founded her practice, Cape Breast Care, where she treats benign and malignant breast cancers. Dr Boeddinghaus obtained her qualification at UCT Medical School in 1994 and her MRCP in London in 1998. She has worked extensively in the field of oncology and has a special interest in the hormonal management of breast cancer. She now works with Dr Gudgeon at Cape Breast Care. Read more.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules