Take note of these back care tips, courtesy of the Chiropractic Association of South Africa:
1. Keep mobile: This increases the circulation and maintains tissue flexibility.
2. Exercise regularly: Weak muscles increase your risk for back pain.
3. Sit up straight: Poor posture puts unnecessary strain on your spine.
4. Bend your knees when you bend over: This will put less stress on the back joints.
5. Maintain a healthy weight: Obesity increases the pressure placed on the vertebrae and discs.
6. In the workplace your computer monitor and keyboard should be directly in front of you.
7. Make sure you sleep on a supportive mattress and pillow to maintain proper spinal alignment.
8. Don't sleep on your stomach: This stresses the neck and lower back.
9. Avoid lifting excessive weights: You could be overloading the spine which may lead to disc compression.
10. Have your spine checked regularly to ensure you maintain optimal spinal health!