Some knee injuries cannot be prevented. However, sensible precautions can be taken by everyone:
• Maintain a good level of overall fitness. In particular, strengthening the muscles around the knee should help to prevent strains or overextensions that could damage the joint. Furthermore, being overweight can put all of your joints under unnecessary strain.
• Do not suddenly increase your level of activity. If you follow an exercise, gradually increase the intensity levels, sudden changes can easily turn into sudden injuries.
Read: What is knee pain?
• Allow for warm-up and cooling-down periods every time you exercise.
• Wear knee-guards/braces if you have had a previous injury. This should help to prevent the same areas from being damaged. Consult a physiotherapist or doctor to make sure you choose the right one.
• Wear shoes appropriate to the activity.
Causes of knee pain
Diagnosing knee pain