Allergy

29 January 2009

Allergy alert

Certain people develop a life-threatening allergic reaction to certain foods, medications or insect stings.

0
Certain people develop a life-threatening allergic reaction to certain foods, medications or insect stings. If you're in the company of someone who suffers from so-called anaphylactic shock, it's important to act quickly.

Take action:
Get the person to hospital immediately; check to see if he’s wearing a Medic-Alert bracelet, or ask him what he’s allergic to; check whether he’s carrying any self-treatment to counter the effects of the allergic reaction; if he’s conscious, help him into a sitting position to make it easier to breathe; encourage slow and deep breathing; give an antihistamine pill, if it’s available and he can swallow; and give mouth-to-mouth breathing or CPR if needed.

See it in pictures: Allergy-free home

 

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Allergy expert

Dr Morris is the Principal Allergist at the Cape Town and Johannesburg Allergy Clinics with postgraduate diplomas in Allergology, Dermatology, Paediatrics and Family Medicine dealing with both adult and childhood allergies. obesity and diabetes societies and runs a trial centre for new drugs.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules