Have a look at the following recipes from this cookbook that are great for people with a gluten allergy:
Golden Mealie Tart (page 23) - Free of Wheat, Rye, Gluten & Soya
500 ml corn flakes, crushed fine
1 ml salt
50 ml cheddar cheese, grated (20g)
60 ml margarine/butter (55g)
3 medium eggs, beaten
30 ml cornflour
2 ml dried mustard powder
250 ml milk
1 x 225g cream-style sweet corn
250 ml grated cheese (100g)
5 ml dried parsley or 15 ml fresh parsley, chopped
pinch of paprika
1. Mix corn flakes, salt, cheese and margarine. Press into base of a 240 mm pie dish. Reserve in a cool place while preparing filling.
2. Beat together eggs, cornflour, salt, nutmeg and mustard powder.
3. Beat milk slowly into egg mixture.
4. Stir sweetcorn, cheese and parsley into egg and milk mixture. Sprinkle paprika over filling.
5. Bake at 160oC for 45 to 60 minutes until the filling is golden brown and set. Let tart rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Add 3 rashers of chopped, fried bacon to filling, but decrease salt from 2 ml to 1 ml.
Add 30 ml copped, fried onion.
Serve with a crisp salad and baked potatoes to make a delicious lunch or light evening meal.
Gluten-free rice bread (page 44) - Free of Wheat, Rye, Gluten, Egg, Egg White & Milk
250 ml rice flour (125g)
175 ml soya flour (85g)
125 ml sifted maize flour (65g)
5 ml salt
10 ml sugar
10 ml baking powder
10 ml oil
250 ml water
1. Sift together flour, salt, sugar and baking powder.
2. Add oil and water to dry ingredients. Mix to a soft dough. Add more water if necessary.
3. Spoon dough into a small greased bread tin. Smooth top of bread.
4. Bake at 180oC for 40 to 45 minutes till golden brown and cooked. Serve bread while lukewarm and fresh.
A tasty home-made replacement for wheat bread.
This cookbook is really a must for people who struggle with wheat sensitivity and other allergies such a milk and egg allergy. Hilda lists the allergens that each recipe is free of and also provides the energy, carbohydrate, protein and fat contents of standard servings of the recipes.
There are more than 150 recipes covering the following categories: Soup, Light Meals and Snacks, Breads, Muffins, Scones and Rusks, Crumpets, Pancakes and Waffles, Cakes and Tarts, Cake Slices and Biscuits, Puddings (both hot and cold), Sauces, Fillings and Spreads, and Drinks and Sweets.
The cookbook is also available in Afrikaans.
How to obtain the Cookbook
The full reference is: South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerances by Hilda Lategan, published by JL van Schaik Publishers. You can contact any branch of Van Schaik Bookstores for a copy, or contact Hilda directly at: P O Box 52547, Fouriesrus, 0024. Tel & Fax: (012) 546-6410, or e-mail her at: email@example.com.
With this Cookbook on your shelf you will never again be at a loss when it comes to making tasty recipes for yourself and your family, which do not cause allergies. - (Dr I.V. van Heerden, DietDoc)
Any questions? Ask DietDoc