Updated 12 February 2013

Beware of bee stings

The symptoms of a bee sting are pain, swelling and redness at the sting site. But call emergency services immediately if you experience the following symptoms after being stung.


The main symptoms of a bee sting are pain, swelling and redness at the sting site. But if you get stung, the Children's Hospital and Regional Medical Center in Seattle advises you call emergency services immediately if you experience:

  • Wheezing or difficulty breathing.
  • Hoarseness, cough or tightness in the throat or chest.
  • Difficulty swallowing or slurred speech.

If you show no signs of an allergic reaction, here's what you can do:

  • Try to remove the stinger. Use a fingernail, credit card edge or knife edge to scrape it off. Don't pull it off since this squeezes out more venom. If the stinger is below the skin surface, let it be. It will be shed with normal skin healing.
  • To relieve the pain, apply a meat-tenderiser-water solution on a cotton ball for 20 minutes. This neutralises the venom and decreases pain and swelling. For persistent pain, massage the area with an ice cube for 10 minutes.
  • Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve pain and burning.

Swelling can increase for 24 hours following the sting and usually disappears after three to five days. If the swelling spreads beyond the immediate site, call your doctor. - (HealthDayNews)

Read more:
Once bitten, twice shy?
The buzz on bee stings


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

Allergy expert

Dr Morris is the Principal Allergist at the Cape Town and Johannesburg Allergy Clinics with postgraduate diplomas in Allergology, Dermatology, Paediatrics and Family Medicine dealing with both adult and childhood allergies. obesity and diabetes societies and runs a trial centre for new drugs.

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules