In most cases, acne can be treated successfully at home. However, in some situations, it is important to see your doctor.
- All patients with inflammatory acne.
- If noninflammatory acne does not respond to treatment.
- If you develop emotional problems as a result of your acne.
- When signs of overproductions of androgens are present.
- If you suspect new prescription medication causes your acne.
- If you suspect that greasy cosmetics or other topical preparations may aggravate your acne.
Reviewed by Professor H.F Jordaan, MBChb, MMed (Derm)