09 April 2009

Practical tips for parents

Parenting a child with ADHD can be very challenging for parents. Here are tips to help you cope.

  • If dietary adjustments and supplements don't work and the specialist prescribes medicine, make sure your child takes it as prescribed so you will be able to report accurately on improvement and side effect.
  • Arrange with your child's teachers that he sits in the front row in class.
  • Teach him to make lists of things to do, pack or take with him.
  • Make sure there is a specific routine at home.
  • Eat at regular times and teach your child his homework must be done at specific times.
  • Give him an alarm clock and put up a year planner and calendar against his wall so he can learn to plan his day and see sport days and music lessons at a glance.
  • Check if and how he did his homework and make sure all tasks are done.
  • Don't help him. Allow him to do it himself, even if it takes a long time.

This article is an excerpt of an article compiled with the assistance of Professor André Venter, Dr Adri van der Walt and many scientific papers. It is an edited version of an article that originally appeared in Pulse magazine in September 2007. Buy the latest copy, on newsstand now, for more fascinating stories in the world of health and wellness.


Get a quote


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining

Live healthier

Strenghten your immunity »

Keep your immunity strong Immune system boosters Boost your family's immunity

5 immune boosters in your kitchen

You don’t need a handful of vitamins and supplements to keep your body healthy, check out these five immune boosting foods you probably already have in your kitchen.

Laugh a little »

Eat yourself happy Laugh more and live longer Laughing yoga the best medicine

The healing power of laughter

A good chuckle doesn't only make you feel happy for a moment, it's beneficial to your health too.