15 June 2015

Can adults have ADHD?


Yes, adults can have ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder).

Whilst previously it was believed that ADHD was a childhood condition that kids grew out of as they approached adulthood, it is now estimated that approximately 60% of children diagnosed with ADHD will continue to have symptoms as adults, Medscape explains.

For adults, ADHD can wreck havoc on work performance and personal relationships. Those with ADHD are also more likely to engage in impulsive or risky behaviours such as gambling, drug and alcohol abuse and dangerous driving. ADHD can also increase the likelihood of violence and other criminal behaviour. For these reasons, it is important for you to book an appointment with a psychiatrist specialising in adult ADHD if you suspect you have symptoms of the condition. A specialist psychiatrist will be able to properly determine whether or not you have ADHD and will prescribe appropriate medication such as Ritalin, Concerta or Strattera should it be required.


Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.

Ask the Expert

ADHD Expert

Dr. Shabeer Ahmed Jeeva is a specialist psychiatrist who has been practicing child and adult psychiatry for 30 years. He has vast experience in treating ADHD, and is also an ADHD patient himself. Dr. Jeeva trained and practiced in Canada as a child and adult psychiatrist and had lived there for 25 years. He had attended medical school at the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin, Ireland (1970-1976). His professional experience and accreditation includes: Psychiatric residency at the University of Ottawa (Canada), Child Psychiatry fellowship at the University of Ottawa (Canada), Diploma in Psychiatry at the University of Ottawa (Canada), and Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians in Canada. Visit his website at:

Still have a question?

Get free advice from our panel of experts

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

* You must accept our condition

Forum Rules