Posted by: Kay | 2011/06/22



I am a 45 yr woman and am wondering if I have adult ADHD. My kids and hubbie say I must have it. I am at most times unable to sit still for long. I fidget all the time. I am very impatient and do things almost immediately. I am constantly getting up and going off to do other things while im still busy with another. I cannot sleep late and im up very early(5 am) even in winter and immediately i start housework. I struggle to sleep deeply for the whole night. I have been like this for years. My mom recently told me that when I was a young child a doc said I have too much adrenalin. I just cannot relax. I also lose concentration very easily. If I have to think I have to have utter silence(not even radio can be on). It seems to be getting worse the older I get. I do have hypertension and am on medication. I do power walking in the mornings so I do exercise. I am a bookworm and am always reading(in fast little spurts)

What do u think

Expert's Reply


ADHD Expert

Dear Kay,

Since these behaviours have been present as a child, there is likely no connection to the hypertension medication, unless you started this at an early age.

Your symptoms do seem typical of ADHD, however, if you are after a diagnosis please ask your GP for a referral to a neurologist, psychiatrist or psychologist who specialises in ADHD.

Exercise is very good if you have an abundance of energy; perhaps fitting a second walk into your afternoon would help you focus as exercise releases dopamine which is needed for concentration.

You could supplement your diet with omegas and evening primrose oil, the latter will aid concentration but also has good properties which aid sleep.

Before you do anything though, consider whether the way you are causes an difficulties in your life. If you are happy and the people around you can manage with your busyness, does it really matter? If it is effecting your life and those around you, then it is time to seek additional help.

Best of luck,

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

user comments


Posted by: Suzy | 2011/06/22

Kay - there are some self tests you can find on the internet. If you do get a result that indicates that it is a good probability that you have ADHD remember that this is not a diagnosis and that you should then seek out a specialist for a full evaluation.

Reply to Suzy

Want to comment?

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.