The medical schemes industry must not panic about the status of
the country's third largest medical scheme, the Bonitas Medical
Fund, the Council for Medical Schemes said on Friday.
This followed media reports on an investigation ordered by the
Johannesburg High Court into the Bonitas Medical Fund and its
administrator Medscheme Holdings, the council said in a statement.
Bonitas had allegedly used members' money for investments and
incomplete property developments.
"Bonitas remains very stable and financially sound," the council
said. Bonitas had over 566 000 beneficiaries and its solvency ratio
(or reserves as a percentage of contributions received) remained
impressive at over 45%, the council noted.
'No reason to panic'
This was well above the 25% required by the Medical
Schemes Act. "The reasons for the Acting Registrar of Medical Schemes Patrick
Matshidze having lodged an urgent application with the Johannesburg
High Court last week to investigate the scheme and its
administrator are related to alleged governance problems at the
scheme and not to its financial soundness," the council said.
There was thus no reason to panic, it said.
"Brokers are advised to act with restraint. Any advice they
give, to both existing and potential members of Bonitas, must
accord with the principles of best advice, have the best interests
of their clients at heart, and be based on a proper assessment of
the situation," the council said. – (Sapa, July 2009)
Most in SA without medical aid
Registered schemes in South Africa