Children can get seriously sunburnt. Here are some tips to bring relief:
- Cool the affected area with cool water, damp cloths or take a cool bath or shower.
- Apply a soothing lotion such as calamine lotion to affected areas.
- Take paracetamol for headache, pain or fever.
- Don’t cover affected areas with clothing if indoors.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid the sun for the next 48 hours.
To prevent sunburn, stay out of the sun between 10am and 4pm. When exposed to the sun, always use a sunblock with a sun protection factor of 15 or more. Small children should wear protective clothing and hats.