advertisement
20 December 2012

Dangers in your fridge

0

Been away for a few days? Chances are that when you opened your fridge, you were blown away by foul-smelling, mould-growing leftovers. Yuck. Time for a major clean-up. But is it necessary to throw away everything that's got mould on it?

Take action:
There's no need to worry about the mouldy patch on that block of Cheddar cheese. If you're not grossed out about it, you can simply cut off the mouldy section and still enjoy the rest of the cheese. If the cheese is covered in mouldy patches, however, it's best to just cut your losses and add "cheese" to your shopping list. The same goes for firm fruits, vegetables and hard salami. But beware: if mould has grown on other foods, such as luncheon meats, leftover meat and poultry, cooked pasta, casseroles, soft cheese, yoghurt, jams, bread or nuts, it's safer to throw these away. If you don't, you could get food poisoning. 

 
NEXT ON HEALTH24X

More:

StressMobile
advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Live healthier

Watch out! »

Gross fungal infections you can pick up at the gym

You go to gym to exercise. But make sure the only thing you pick up is a dumbbell and not one of these gross fungal infections.

Holiday health »

Your 10-step asthma holiday checklist

Don’t let asthma ruin your summer holiday. Whether you are travelling or embracing the summer at home, make sure you plan ahead.