Sunburn easily results in first-degree burns, especially in young children. In severe cases, secondary burns could result.
- If needed, treat for dehydration.
- Soothe burns with cool water or compresses and let the person rest in a cool room.
- 1% hydrocortisone cream relieves pain, and tea tree oil may soothe the burn.
- Use paracetamol for pain.
- Apply lotion to relieve itch from peeling.
- Watch for signs of heat exhaustion.
- Stay out of the sun between 10am and 3pm.
- Always use sunblock with a sun protection factor of 15 or higher when you are outdoors. Reapply every two hours and more often if you are swimming.
- Wear a hat and white, protective clothing.
- Drink plenty of water.