Bodybuilders, athletes and cyclists often have smoother legs than their female partners. Here’s how to get hairless legs:
- Sit on the edge of the bath and soak your legs in warm water for about three minutes. Water softens the hairs, making them easier to shave.
- Now apply a thick shaving gel or cream that will retain the moisture on the skin and in the hair.
- Using a sharp, wire-wrapped blade, shave against the grain of hair growth using long, even strokes. (Shaving your legs is different to shaving your face where you shave with the grain.) If you have sensitive skin though, you should shave your legs with the grain.
- Do not apply excessive pressure to the razor, it should be sharp enough to slice through the hair with ease.
- Shave very carefully over bony bits, like ankles and shins.
- Before shaving your knees, bend your leg slightly so that the skin is tight – you cannot shave folded skin.
- Make sure that you stay warm while shaving – shut the bathroom door and wrap yourself in a towel – to prevent goosebumps that are painful to shave over.
- Wash off all shaving cream and debris when you are finished and apply a special shaving moisturiser.
- Do not go into the sun and don’t swim directly after shaving – the salt water or chlorine will sting your legs and some sunscreens have alcohol that will irritate your skin.