So you've learnt a few general tips on how to make your desk feng shui, but you have more specific career goals? Perhaps you are eyeing the boss's chair, or are desperate for a salary increase or maybe you just want to get on better with all the people in the office?
Here are ways to arrange your desk to get what you want:
To get a salary raise:
The top left-hand corner of your desk is the "money" area. To up your chances of a better salary, you must boost this area, by adding as many as possible of the following "cures" to it:
- A desk lamp.
- A vase of red/purple flowers (these colours are associated with wealth in the Chinese culture).
- A crystal paperweight (crystals boost chi, or positive vital energy), underneath which you put your salary slip and any invoices.
- A red/purple box of paperclips or spare change.
- A fish bowl with three goldfish or three Chinese coins tied with a red ribbon.
To boost your creativity:
There is no one area on the desk that is associated with creativity and fresh ideas, instead there are a number of ways to think "out of the box":
- A round desk, or at least a desk with rounded corners will encourage creativity.
- Put a crystal paperweight at the centre back of your desk to strengthen your intuition.
- When it comes to stationery and fresh flowers, the brighter the colours, the better.
- Install an indoor fountain in your office and as close to your desk as possible.
- Place a three-legged Chinese toad god on the right-hand corner of your desk, to boost your opportunities, luck, money and success.
- Put something inspirational or in line with one of your career goals on the wall opposite you.
To achieve acknowledgement and fame:
The "fame" area of your desk is the spot directly opposite you, at the back of the desk. If your computer is there, put these "cures" on or around it or on the opposite wall:
- Anything red, be it an award, degree or a diploma, will remind you of all that you have achieved.
- A candle or a crystal will give you the notice and recognition that you seek.
- A red, purple or yellow desk lamp will give you a head start on your road to fame.
- Go for red, purple and yellow candles, photo frames, mouse mats, stationery organisers etc. These strong colours will not only attract the desired attention, but will stimulate mental activity too.
To get on with fellow employees:
Do you hate your boss? Do you feel paranoid that the rest of your co-workers are sending vicious messages about you behind your back? Unfortunately, these are the people that you have to work with for eight hours every day. Whether you like it or not, you have to get on with them, and adding a few things to the top right-hand corner of your desk (the "relationship" area) might help you do this:
- Use the colour yellow and the number two in this area (perhaps you could put two daffodils in a vase)
- Put a photo of your colleagues from the office party on the desk and add a candle in front of it to boost positive energy.
- If you put your desk lamp here, your relationship energy will be boosted.
Picture: Office desk from Shutterstock
Read more about feng shui