advertisement
21 February 2012

Carbon monoxide: silent, deadly

Carbon monoxide (CO) gas has caused more accidental deaths than any other poison – not just because it’s so fast-acting, but because you can’t see, smell or taste it.

0

Carbon monoxide (CO) gas has caused more accidental deaths than any other poison – not just because it’s fast-acting, but because you can’t see, smell or taste it, and it’s non-irritant.

Potential sources of dangerous CO levels include car exhaust, and combustion fumes from fuel-burning appliances e.g. charcoal braai grills, camping stoves, fireplaces, gas heaters, wood and coal ovens, petrol generators and power tools.

  • Make sure you know how to use fuel-burning appliances correctly, with good ventilation, and get them professionally inspected every year.
  • Don’t use non-vented appliances indoors, or in semi-enclosed spaces. A non-vented appliance is one that does not have vents to carry smoke and toxic gases outside a building. 
  • Don’t let your car engine idle in the garage unless the garage door is open and doors leading to the house are closed. (Actuallly, avoid idling your engine anywhere.)
  • Finally, consider installing a CO detector.

(Olivia Rose-Innes, Health24, September 2011) ))))))))))))((()0})

 

 

  

 
NEXT ON HEALTH24X
advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Live healthier

Are you sure? »

Aid your digestion What are digestive disorders?

Are you really constipated?

Many people think that if they do not have two or more bowel movements every single day of their lives they are constipated. This is patently not true, writes DietDoc.

True of False? »

SEE: How anaphylactic shock affects your body

Stop believing these 10 allergy myths

Do you still believe that hay fever is caused by hay? Or that food allergies are really common? No, and no again. We bust 10 myths about allergies.