advertisement
02 June 2012

When paint fumes are a knockout

Exposure to paint fumes should always be avoided, because they’re often toxic and associated with a wide variety of negative health effects.

0

Exposure to paint fumes should always be avoided, because they’re often toxic and associated with a wide variety of negative health effects – though these vary considerably depending on the type of paint and the exposure level.

If you've just painted your house, spend as little time in the painted area as possible (walking out every five minutes helps!), and get as much ventilation going inside as possible. Fans help to pull in fresh air, and dry the paint. And if you've painted with enamel paint, it might be a good idea to move out of the house for five or six days.

If you experience symptoms of toxic exposure (headaches and nausea are among the common symptoms of inhalation of toxic fumes), consult your doctor and describe your symptoms and the circumstances. If you smoke, it’ll make the symptoms worse, so now would be a good time to cut back.

- Olivia Rose-Innes, EnviroHealth Editor, Health24, May 2012

More EnviroHealth Tips

 
NEXT ON HEALTH24X
advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Live healthier

Choose wisely... »

Healthy diet may extend kidney patients' lives Healthy diet protects teens against later weight gain

Finding the right diet for you

With so many fad diets out there, it’s difficult to separate fact from fiction. Dietitian Mpho Tshukudu gives advice on how to find and follow the right diet.

Decor danger! »

Sick building syndrome FAQ: Sick building syndrome What is sick building syndrome?

Your wallpaper might be making you sick

Fungus growing on wallpaper might contribute to 'sick building syndrome', causing symptoms similar to flu and allergies.