advertisement
23 May 2012

Beware of benzene

Benzene is a powerful chemical sometimes used to remove grease and dirt from glass and metal. Great care should be taken – it's highly toxic and hazardous.

0

Benzene is a powerful chemical sometimes used to remove grease and dirt from glass and metal. Great care should be taken – it's highly toxic and hazardous.

Benzene safety tips:

  • Work in a well-ventilated space, preferably outside
  • Benzene is highly flammable, so keep it away from heat, flames or sparks
  • Wear impermeable gloves to avoid skin contact with liquid benzene
  • If you’ve inhaled benzene and experience any worrying symptoms, remove yourself from further exposure to where you can breathe fresh air, and call your doctor immediately.
  • If you get liquid benzene on your skin, wash it off immediately with soap and water.

 - Olivia Rose-Innes, EnviroHealth Editor, Health24, May 2012 

Read more about benzene

 
advertisement

Read Health24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Live healthier

The struggle is real »

5 things to know before taking an antihistamine How to cope with seasonal allergies

15 tips for students with allergies

For university students, moving out of home can be daunting at the best of times but for those with severe allergies or asthma, it may feel close to impossible.

Coffee and wine for the win! »

Could heartburn drugs upset your 'good' gut bacteria? Life is a gut reaction

Good news! Coffee & wine may promote a healthy gut

Diverse bacteria help your gut stay healthy. Here's how what you eat and drink can help or harm that balance - and it's not all bad news.