Children this age are becoming more independent, and are becoming more interested in team games, especially those with rules. It is important that children this age be taught the importance of working together as a team, rather than stealing the glory for themselves.
Children in this age range can use basic motor skills to build complex movements. They can play longer and harder than younger children, which means their fitness levels can improve.
Children also learn the basic rules of several games and will be expected to understand why they are important.
What a 7-8 year-old can do
- Catch smaller balls
- Have good balance
- Start to enjoy rule-based games such as cricket and soccer
- Individual strengths and weaknesses will be apparent
- Some players can become extremely competitive at this age, so it is important to curb over-enthusiasm and aggressive play
How you can help
- Try to improve skills – jump higher, run faster and throw balls further
- Play along – children are much more likely to find an activity fun and interesting if their parents join in
Throughout all activities, always ensure a balance between learning and fun.
For more information call the Neil Hosken Coaching Academy on (031) 201 5609 or e-mail them on email@example.com